Last time, we talked about Pasig’s importance before as the capital of the Province of Rizal when the latter was first established. For a while, the seat of power was located near the banks of the Marikina River, where it stayed for almost 50 years. Fast forward to 1950, as the Rizal provincial capitol found itself settled in its new home, right along Shaw Boulevard near what was to become the Ortigas Center business district.The land that new capitol sat on was made possible through a donation of the land by its landowners, the Ortigas family,.whose property once extended to what are now parts Mandaluyong, San Juan, Pasig, and Quezon…
Lying on the eastern end of Metro Manila lies the city known as Pasig, which serves as an industrial and commercial hub in the east, as well as the metropolis’ gateway to the eastern highlands of Rizal, Quezon, and eastern Laguna. But long before it became part of the metropolis, Pasig was one of the many towns and cities which used to be part of Rizal province itself. But Pasig holds a more special distinction of being what was once the province’s seat of power ever since the American colonial government established a new province named after the national hero Dr. Jose Rizal in 1901.