Mention the name of that southern metropolitan city which is Las Piñas and automatically, the first thing that comes to mind is its renowned and beloved treasure that is the Bamboo Organ found in the old Las Piñas Church, known formally as St. Joseph Church.
And to tell the story of the Bamboo Organ, one cannot disassociate it with the history of this Baroque-inspired, stone-built Catholic church. In 1795 to be precise, when the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila deemed it necessary to have a church built in a growing fishing village south of the city we now know as Las Piñas. The task of building that church fell in the hands of the Augustinian Recollect priests, headed by Fr. Diego Cera, who would also be appointed as the town’s first parish priest. Construction would begin two years later and would be completed in 1819. Fr. Cera supervised the construction of the church, making sure it would be as earthquake-proof as possible. Continue reading