No other thoroughfares have long defined the district of Pandacan in Manila than the twin streets of Jesus and the former Otis, now known as Paz M. Guanzon. Divided by Quirino Avenue, these two streets are actually part of a single road networks that serves to connect Pandacan to the nearby districts of the city.
Named after the patron of the district, the Holy Child, Jesus is one of the districts oldest thoroughfares where many of the district’s landmarks are located. Apart from what have been written previously, along this road can be found a city government’s housing project called the Residencias de Manila and across it the charity organization ran by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila, Caritas Manila. If you are one those looking for affordable goods like clothing, household items, etc. Caritas Manila’s office is one place to go to on some occasions since they hold “garage sales” of sorts for various goods.
Crossing the Quirino Avenue is the street formerly named after Elwell Otis, who served as the 2nd American Military Governor of the Philippines from 1898-1901. While it has been renamed in honor of Pandacan’s honored daughter, some still call it by its old name.
If anything, this stretch of road is known for the number of automobile showrooms, Manila’s car haven of sorts, not to mention a mall. It also serves as the home of the Malayan High School of Science, the virtual successor of Mapua High School before it was closed and rebranded to the Malayan name. Its college sibling would have fallen into the same fate had not for the opposition of the alumni that caused the proposal to be dropped altogether.
One can also find in this stretch of road, the Malacañang Park and the Presidential Security Group headquarters, serving as the southern extension of San Miguel’s Malacañang complex.
© The Urban Roamer